Celebrate National Puppy Day by adopting a furry friend
MEMPHIS, TN (WMC)
National Puppy Day is Monday, March 23, 2015. Celebrate this day by adopting a new member of the family or by donating to your local shelter.
This day was founded in 2006 by Colleen Paige. Paige also founded National Dog Day and National Cat Day.
NPD was started to help save orphaned puppies and educate the public about puppy mills.
Click here to learn more about National Puppy Day, which trended worldwide on Twitter for the last three years.
NationalPuppyDay.com shared some ways you can celebrate:
- Adopt a puppy from your local shelter or pure breed rescue organization.
- Donate money, food and toys to your local shelter.
- Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to walk a puppy or play with a puppy, clean cages or anything else they need help with.
- Revamp your puppy’s toy bin with new, clean toys and get rid of the old, bacteria infested ones!
- Buy a puppy gate to keep your puppy out of hazardous areas of the home.
- Microchip & I.D. Tag your puppy so the shelter can locate you if he gets lost.
- Teach your children and their friends to be kind to your puppy by never pulling on his ears or tail.
- Teach your puppy some fun tricks.
- Install a fence around your unfenced yard so your puppy can run and enjoy some freedom at home.
Source: WMC Action News 5